GREENVILLE, S.C., Oct. 2, 2019 — Michelin North America, Inc. will launch the MICHELIN® X® Line EnergyTM D+ tire ─ its new ultra-low rolling resistance dual-drive line-haul tire ─ to the North American replacement market on Oct. 1.
The tire was developed through an advanced-engineering project over three years with the objective of reducing the fuel consumption of Freightliner’s next-generation Cascadia Class 8 heavy-duty trucks. The project yielded a product with the lowest rolling resistance offered by Michelin in a dual-fitment drive tire(1).
“The MICHELIN X Line Energy D+ sets a new standard for Michelin,” said Adam Murphy, vice president, B2B marketing, Michelin North America. “With about 35 percent of vehicle fuel consumption attributed to overcoming tire rolling resistance(2), this tire delivers both fuel savings while providing exceptional traction for driver confidence.”
As Michelin’s most fuel-efficient drive tire for long-haul(3) applications, the MICHELIN X Line Energy D+ tire 275/80R22.5 size is designed for fleets looking to save hundreds of dollars in fuel spend with an estimated annual fuel savings of $725(4). This tire meets SmartWay requirements(5) and is greenhouse-gas 2 regulation and CARB compliant.
The X Line Energy D+ features a tread compound designed for exceptional fuel efficiency(4). The Infini-Coil® technology wraps 1/8 mile of steel cable around the durable casing to eliminate casing growth and ensure a consistent footprint and even wear. The casing is designed with high-tensile-strength steel belts capable of supporting multiple retreads.
With the ability to get a tractor up and running 35% faster than a leading competitive tire(6), the X Line Energy D+ incorporates interlocking, edge-biting tread sipes and regenerative tread grooves designed to provide superior grip and traction throughout the life of the tire. Interlocking siping and regenerating features are designed to provide biting edges throughout tread life.
Providing maximum retreadability and a casing designed for endurance, the X Line Energy D+ comes with the 7/7/3 manufacturer’s limited casing warranty. This includes coverage against defects in workmanship and materials for 700,000 miles, seven years or three retreads from the date of manufacture when retreaded by an authorized Michelin Retread Technologies (MRT) dealer. The tire is available in the United States and Canada.
- Michelin performed internal rolling resistance tests using ISO 28580 test method. Testing was performed using a two tire sample average of the MICHELIN X Line Energy D+ tire compared against the Bridgestone M710 Ecopia, Goodyear Fuel Max LHD G505D and Continental HDL2.
- Based on industry standard rolling resistance testing of comparable tires or retreads. Actual results may vary, and may be affected by many factors, including road conditions, weather and environment, driver performance, etc.
- Based on internal rolling resistance tests using ISO 28580 test method in tire size 275/80R22.5 LRG dual-drive tire vs. the MICHELIN® XDA® ENERGY+ tire. Actual on-road fuel saving results may vary, and may be affected by many factors, including road conditions, weather, environment, combination of steer and trailer tires used, driving habits, tire size, equipment and maintenance.
- Fuel savings calculated based on replacing the Bridgestone M710 Ecopia with the MICHELIN X Line Energy D+ in (8) drive tire positions on a Class 8 tandem-drive axle truck. Calculations also based on the U.S. national average diesel fuel price as of Aug. 26, 2019, of $2.98 per gallon, for a Class 8 tandem-drive axle truck and single tandem axle trailer combination travelling 100,000 miles/year, with a total vehicle weight of 80,000 lbs. Actual results may vary, and may be affected by many factors, including road conditions, weather, environment, combination of steer and trailer tires used, driving habits, tire size, equipment and maintenance. Rolling resistance results based on internal ISO 28580 tests.
- SmartWay verification pending
- In a standardized starting snow test when tires are new, the 275/80R22.5 MICHELIN® X® LINE ENERGY D+ tire traveled 35% faster than the 295/75R22.5 Bridgestone M710 Ecopia tire, which are equivalent sizes. Actual on-road results may vary.