BFGoodrich Cross Control D and S tires designed for the toughest jobs requiring superior traction and durability; new app demonstrates augmented reality of new tires
GREENVILLE, S.C., March 22, 2018 — Since 1996, BFGoodrich® commercial truck tires have proudly helped American truckers take control on our nation’s highways and by-ways. With the launch of two new all-terrain tires from BFGoodrich, the Cross Control® S and Cross Control® D, the legacy continues for trucks used for construction, logging and energy that encounter aggressive conditions in grueling day-to-day environments.
“BFGoodrich commercial truck products are built to deliver the best uptime in their class with tough proven performance. It’s a brand that fleet operators can count on while working on the most demanding job sites,” said Adam Murphy, vice president of B2B marketing for BFGoodrich commercial truck tires.
The new BFGoodrich Cross Control tire line is designed to combat damage and downtime with features that include:
- thick sidewalls to resist damage from impacts;
- heat-release compounds to help reduce internal casing temperatures;
- a full-protector ply, which is 75 percent wider than a leading competitor, to provide protection from penetrations and road hazards even past the outer grooves;
- anti-cut and chip resistance to help prevent damage that can take a tire prematurely out of service.
In fact, the BFGoodrich Cross Control S (all-terrain steer/all-position) tire is guaranteed to provide 20 percent more mileage on the wide-base iteration of the BFGoodrich Cross Control S than with the BFGoodrich® ST565TM wide-base tire1. The serrated shoulder with staggered rib blocks assist with maneuverability in soft soils and snow conditions. The aggressive ribbed tread design provides traction in challenging conditions without sacrificing handling or ride comfort. The BFGoodrich Cross Control S tire is available in sizes 11R22.5 and 11R24.5 (Load Range H), 315/80R22.5 (Load Range L), and starting in May 2018 will be available in sizes 385/65R22.5 (Load Range J) and 425/65R22.5 (Load Range L).
The new BFGoodrich Cross Control D, an all-terrain drive tire, offers many of the same features as its steer counterpart. Built for traction, it is designed with 25 percent more lugs on the road to grip snow, mud and dirt2. A 75 percent wider protector ply3 than a leading competitor provides greater protection from road hazards and penetrations, which can leave fleets and owner-operators on the side of the road encountering unexpected downtime. The BFGoodrich Cross Control D tire is available in 11R22.5 and 11R24.5 sizes (Load Range H). And confident in the Cross Control’s downtime-fighting durability and increased mileage, BFGoodrich offers a work-hard guarantee for the products.
“The BFGoodrich Cross Control D and S tires are extremely beefy compared to what I normally drive on during a construction job. I like that design because I get the best traction, even climbing up steep grades and rocky material,” said Kelli Desmond, driver for Sierra Rental & Transport. “But what’s surprising is that these are also some of the most comfortable tires I’ve ever driven on the highway.”
“To ensure we are meeting customer demand for durability and traction, we will be revitalizing the entire product portfolio over the next few years,” Murphy said. “In addition, we are also eager to introduce a new BFGoodrich brand technology — an augmented reality (AR) app — an exciting tool that brings a 3-D version of the new tires to life in the user’s environment.”
Available soon through the app stores, it is designed for newer iOS and Android devices. The BFGoodrich AR app allows users to interact with the tire’s features, benefits and key support materials, including technical specs, videos and customer testimonials.
The BFGoodrich Tires brand offers a full line-up of high quality, retreadable tires for line haul, regional, urban and on/off-road applications.
- Guaranteed to provide 20% more mileage on the wide-base BFGoodrich® Cross Control® S tire than the BFGoodrich® ST565™ Wide Base tire.
- Compared to a leading competitor, the BFGoodrich® Cross Control® D tire is designed to provide superior traction in mud and snow throughout the life of the tire due to flow-through grooves that remain open through the tire’s life. Footprint study of a Yokohama® LY053 tire and a BFGoodrich® Cross Control® D tire in size 11R24.5 LRH machine-buffed to approximately 10mm of remaining tread. Tires measured under a load of 3,250 kg with an internal pressure of approx. 8.3 bar. Actual results may vary.
- Full coverage protector ply is 75% wider compared to a leading competitor — increased casing durability and protection against road hazards. Protector ply width compared to the Yokohama® MY507 in size 11R24.5 LRH.Actual results may vary.
About Michelin North America
Dedicated to the improvement of sustainable mobility, Michelin designs, manufactures and sells tires for every type of vehicle, including airplanes, automobiles, bicycles, earthmovers, farm equipment, heavy-duty trucks and motorcycles. The Company has earned a long-standing reputation for building innovative premium tires. In addition to tires, the Company also publishes travel guides, hotel and restaurant guides, maps and road atlases. Headquartered in Greenville, S.C., Michelin North America (www.michelinman.com) employs about 22,700 and operates 19 major manufacturing plants. Forbes magazine has ranked Michelin No. 1 on its annual survey of “Best Large Employers in America” for 2018. Learn more about purpose-driven careers with a purpose-driven company at jobs.michelinman.com.
Category: Heavy Truck
traction, construction, logging, all-terrain, BFGoodrich, Adam Murphy, energy, Cross Control, proven performance, all position, drive position