XTRA LOAD Tire Range Provides Productivity Advantages
for 40- to 80-ton Payload Trucks
GREENVILLE, S.C., July 13, 2017 — Michelin Earthmover today announced the next generation of rigid dump truck (RDT) tires with the introduction of MICHELIN® X®TRA LOAD GRIP and the MICHELIN® X®TRA LOAD PROTECT. The first-ever “3-star” 24.00R35 tire size on the market1, the new MICHELIN XTRA LOAD range will allow users to increase load capacity or accommodate faster speeds to maximize productivity.
“It is a common worldwide practice to add side boards and lift gates to rigid dump trucks in order to increase payload capacity for optimal profitability. This demand puts incredible stress on the tires,” said Jamey Fish, director of earthmover marketing for Michelin North America Inc. “This new, robust Michelin tire range provides a solution so that the maximum amount of material can be loaded into these trucks while still delivering traction, damage resistance and increased tire life.”
The new MICHELIN XTRA LOAD tire is available for two surface applications experienced by RDTs:
MICHELIN XTRA LOAD GRIP for soft, loose, muddy ground conditions — experienced in mining and quarrying operations on slopes and inclines, where the priority is high grip and traction. Due to a reinforced casing, the tire has a 16 percent higher payload2, or an increase of nine tons in load capacity per machine — a huge increase in productivity when multiplied by the number of cycles made daily. And with a tread comprising 30 percent more lug edges3, increased grip improves braking, cornering and accelerating. The tire has the ability to drive 21 miles per hour due to the cooler internal running temperatures4. The tire also provides 8 percent more wear resistance5, with more rubber in the contact patch and improved damage resistance with corrosion-isolating steel cables. This tire replaces the Michelin XDT® and X® Traction offers.
MICHELIN XTRA LOAD PROTECT for hard, sharp, abrasive conditions on flat, dry surfaces — where the priority is protection and damage resistance, conditions that are present in areas such as quarries and construction sites. This application is for customers who want to carry more load and increase the distances they carry every hour. The new highly protective and damage-resistant tread pattern contributes to a better load distribution across the contact patch. This tire has interlocking blocks and improved heat dissipation that reduces the temperature in the tread area by up to 17 degrees F. This tire replaces the Michelin X®QUARRY S and X®HAUL tires offers.
Productivity — as measured by TMPH — is a function of load and distance covered in an hour. For the new XTRA LOAD GRIP, the TMPH is increased by at least 20.3 percent in the A4 compound and 13.5 percent for the B compound, when compared against previous Michelin ranges6. For the new XTRA LOAD PROTECT, the TMPH is increased by at least 14 percent in the A4 compound and 42 percent for the B compound, when compared against previous Michelin ranges. This extended load and speed capability will allow users to optimize machine cycles and increase productivity. Greater volume of tread rubber in contact with the ground contributes to better load distribution, improved wear resistance and an increase in tire life.
With the two tread compounds (A4 and B), dealers will experience easier stock management. The four new Michelin offers will replace five existing offers as outlined below:
XTRA LOAD GRIP A4*** replaces XDTA4**
XTRA LOAD GRIP B*** replaces XDTB** / X-TRACTION SC
XTRA LOAD PROTECT A4*** replaces X-QUARRY S**
XTRA LOAD PROTECT B*** replaces X-HAUL**
1) Previously most 24.00R35 tires carried a ** rating; the X®TRA LOAD is the first carrying a *** rating. Star rating is the industry indicator of load capacity for a given dimension governed by the Tire and Rim Association. Compared to the same size in BRIDGESTONE® VMTP and VRLS - Source BRIDGESTONE® OTR Databook 2016 and MICHELIN® XDT™, MICHELIN® X® TRACTION™ SC – Source Michelin Databook 2017.
2) 30% more lug edges in contact with the ground. Based on customer feedback done on: 140 tires (field tests) in 10 countries at 23 customers during 2016 and 2017.
3) Star rating is the industry indicator of load capacity for a given dimension - Tire and Rim Association.
4) Compared to the same size in MICHELIN® XDT™, this data comes from Michelin Data Book 2017.
5) Compared to the same size in MICHELIN® XDT™, field tests measurements certified by the Michelin Center of Technology.
6) These data comes from Michelin Data Book 2017 and BRIDGESTONE® OTR Databook 2016.