- First tire manufactured on Oct. 29, 1981
- More than 2,240 people supporting operations on the site in 2021
LEXINGTON, S.C., Oct. 29, 2021 — Michelin celebrates four decades of manufacturing in Lexington, South Carolina, this month.
The passenger tire plant employs more than 1,470 people and produces original equipment tires and replacement tires. The factory‘s first tire was made on Oct. 29, 1981, and the site has now produced more than 240 million tires.
“Our site is a place where coworkers become family and pride in our product defines our culture,” said Chris Goumas, site director for Michelin in Lexington. “We have seen incredible investments in the site and community, and it’s an exciting time to see continued growth and presence of Michelin in the Midlands.”
Investing in the Midlands
The site plays an integral role in the community through long-term local and corporate partnerships.
- Michelin’s Challenge Education program supports 12 public Title I elementary schools across South Carolina by offering tutors, mentors, lunch buddies and financial contributions. In Lexington, Michelin supports Red Bank Elementary and Saxe Gotha Elementary.
- Michelin also has a long-term Technical Scholar partnership with Midlands Technical College. Eligible students receive paid tuition while gaining hands-on experience in the facility in the fields of mechatronics or electronics engineering technologies.
- Michelin is proud to also support local charities in the form of sponsorships and annual fundraising campaigns for the United Way and March of Dimes.
When asked “Why Michelin?” some 40-year Michelin employees shared:
- “When I was hired in 1981, Michelin was considered to be an extremely desirable employer with a bright future,” said Michael Hill. “Almost 41 years later, it looks like I made a wise decision!”
- “Michelin’s industrial technical training is second to none, hands down,” said Charlie MacInnis (40 years).
- “I realized early in my career that Michelin would allow me the opportunity to explore my own personal growth and ambitions and offer support and guidance,” said Scott Beecroft, (43 years). “My coworkers have become an extension of my family that I will always look back on with a smiling heart and a lot of pride.”
Michelin is hiring Lexington job-seekers who are interested in full benefits, job stability and career advancement opportunities. Apply today at jobs.michelinman.com.