- The first Michelin tire engineered to meet the specific handling and range requirements of electric sports cars
- Low road-noise for superior travelling comfort(1)
- Result of the unique experience acquired by Michelin in Formula E racing
Michelin has launched its first tire designed to address the specific demands made by electric sports cars. Launching April 1, the MICHELIN® Pilot® Sport EV delivers:
- Optimal grip on dry and wet roads(2) (3) – irrespective of the tire’s level of wear(4) – taking into account the higher weight and weight-distribution characteristics associated with electric sports cars.
- Outstanding resistance to wear(5) in response to the high torque and acceleration forces of electric sports cars.
- The MICHELIN Pilot Sport EV’s low rolling resistance extends range by up to 37 miles(6).
- 20 percent less perceptible road noise thanks to MICHELIN AcousticTM technology which takes the form of a custom-developed polyurethane foam that reduces cabin noise(1).
The MICHELIN Pilot Sport EV is the result of the unique experience Michelin has acquired in Formula E racing
A founding partner of Formula E, Michelin proposed a specific solution for the championship’s all-electric single-seaters that is similar in its concept to a road tire. The Michelin Formula E tire is capable of racing in any weather conditions, while its size – 18 inches – is consistent with current road-car norms.
The MICHELIN Pilot Sport EV benefits directly from the progress Michelin has achieved over six seasons in Formula E and incorporates ElectricGrip CompoundTM technology which features a hard compound for the center of the tread to provide the grip required to handle high torque characteristics of electric sports cars. The sidewalls carry over the same pattern and velvet-finish markings of Michelin’s Formula E tire.
Michelin is currently the only manufacturer that is active in the original-equipment and replacement electric sports car tire market. The MICHELIN Pilot Sport EV will be rolled during 2021 in a choice of 16 sizes (original equipment: 11 sizes / replacement market: 5 sizes) for 18- to 22-inch rims.
The MICHELIN Pilot Sport EV is already available in China and will be available on vehicles released in Europe and North America from the third quarter 2021. By 2024, Michelin plans to increase its sales in this high-growth market by a factor of eight.
Download Photos of the MICHELIN Pilot Sport EV here: https://contentcenter.michelin.com/portal/shared-board/342f0bbe-40c1-4e91-bf45-5faa89ce7e46
1. Internal noise measurement (170-230Hz band) carried out in 2016 based on a KIA Cadenza equipped with 245/45 R19 tires. Noise level measured on the range "170-230Hz". Results may vary depending on vehicle, tire range and size, speed and road conditions.
2. Cornering stiffness internal study carried out on machine in October 2020, on dimension 255/45 R19, comparing the 255/45 R19 MICHELIN Pilot Sport EV with the same-sized MICHELIN Pilot Sport 4 SUV.
3. The MICHELIN Pilot Sport EV is B-rated for Wet Grip by the European labelling scale.
4. New and Worn (worn means worn on machine (buffed) to the depth of Tread Wear Indicator according to European regulation for Tread wear indicator ECE R30r03f), the 255/45 R19 MICHELIN Pilot Sport EV, is above the European R117 regulation wet grip threshold.
5. Thanks to MaxTouch Construction that maximizes the tire's contact with the road and evenly distribute the forces of acceleration, braking and cornering - delivering longer tread life without sacrificing performance
6. Rolling Resistance internal study carried out in October 2020, comparing a 255/45 R19 MICHELIN Pilot Sport EV (6.7kg/t) with the same-sized MICHELIN Pilot Sport 4 SUV (8.8kg/t). In the case of an electric vehicle weighing 2,151kg with a range of 540km, the difference (2.1kg/t) equates to more than 60km of additional range, or more than 10 percent of the original range.