- MICHELIN X Multi Energy Z2 sets new standards for regional and super-regional applications
- X Line Energy T2 is Michelin’s most fuel-efficient dual trailer tire for long haul and truckload
GREENVILLE, S.C., March 1, 2021 — Michelin North America, Inc., is launching the MICHELIN® X® Multi Energy Z2 tire ─ the fuel-efficient, traction and mileage performance standard for regional and super-regional applications –to the replacement market. The MICHELIN® X® Line Energy T2 tire ─ Michelin’s most fuel-efficient dual trailer tire1 to date for the long-haul and truckload market ─ will be available to order on April 1.
“Michelin is constantly innovating to provide fleets with fuel-efficient tire solutions for both long haul and regional applications,” said Adam Murphy, vice president of B2B marketing, Michelin North America. “We strive to balance driver safety and satisfaction while decreasing operating costs. These new MICHELIN Energy products deliver improved tread wear, mileage performance and traction for increased driver confidence and comfort to deliver their loads safely and on time during this challenging time in the trucking industry.”
MICHELIN X Multi Energy Z2
The MICHELIN X Multi Energy Z2 tire is designed for less-than-truckload and multiple-stop delivery fleets that run 300-500 miles per day. This includes dry van, less-than-truckload, food and beverage and pickup and delivery fleets that require a long-lasting tire that performs well in medium scrub environments as well as on the highway. This directional steer tire is designed to improve resistance to irregular wear for more miles. It is SmartWay®-compliant and GHG2 approved into 2027 2. Available for fleets in the United States and Canada, the tire sets new industry standards in fuel efficiency, traction and mileage performance for super-regional and regional applications.
This performance is achieved through its regenion tread sculpture that enhances rolling resistance, improves mileage performance and enhances water evacuation. The tire safely navigates on-ramps and turns and has better wet braking to stop safely, especially in wet conditions when worn than leading competitors3,4. The MICHELIN X Multi Energy Z2 tire is engineered with a dual compound tread. It is available in two tire sizes: 11R22.5 LRG and 295/75R22.5 LRH.
MICHELIN X Line Energy T2
The X Line Energy T2, meets SmartWay® requirements5 and is targeted for the dry van truckload and less-than-truckload, refrigerated, tanker and flatbed fleet segments. The product is designed for improved wear, fuel savings, retreadability and exceptional traction. The tread incorporates micro-sipes on all rib edges and a broad, optimized contact patch. Both features contribute to better wear. The MICHELIN X LINE ENERGY T2 tire has better wet stopping traction when new and worn than two leading competitor tires6. The dual-compound tread consists of a mileage top layer that controls tread stiffness and stress to reduce irregular wear and a fuel-efficient bottom layer that minimizes internal casing temperatures for low rolling resistance. Curb guards and upper sidewall ribs help fight sidewall damage providing excellent retreadability.
“Trailer tires generally suffer from irregular wear and are often subject to poor air pressure maintenance,” continues Murphy. “This forgotten tire/wheel position is susceptible to variable loads. The new X Line Energy T2 has been designed to address these concerns.”
The MICHELIN X Line Energy T2 is available in four sizes: 295/75R22.5 LRG 11R22.5 LRG, 285/75R24.5 LRG and 11R24.5LRH. See Michelin Business website for details.
(1) Based on internal rolling resistance tests using ISO 28580 test method using comparable line haul trailer tires in tire size 275/80R22.5 LRG for the MICHELIN X Line Energy T2 tire - our most fuel-efficient dual trailer tire for truckload, long haul transportation.
(2) This statement is for standards on low roof applications as it pertains to Green House Gas 2 standards.
(3) Based on internal wet braking test at 60 mph (97 kph) when tires are worn to 9/32” on asphalt measuring peak Mu, using the MICHELIN® X® Multi Energy Z2 tire, Goodyear® Fuel Max® RSA® tire and Continental® HSL 3® (Conti® Hybrid® HS3®) tire in size 295/75R22.5. Actual on-road results may vary.
(4) Based on internal wet oval track test measuring lap time when tires are worn to 9/32”, using the MICHELIN® X® Multi Energy Z2 tire, Goodyear® Fuel Max® RSA® tire and Continental® HSL 3® (Conti® Hybrid® HS3®) tire in size 295/75R22.5. Actual on-road results may vary.
(5) Meets SmartWay® Requirements for a trailer tire; verification pending.
(6) All tires eventually wear out and should be replaced. Based on internal wet braking tests starting from 60 mph (97 kph) on asphalt, measuring peak Mu, using new tires and tires buffed to 6/32nds tread depth, in tire size 295/75R22.5, the MICHELIN® X® LINE ENERGY T2 tire outperformed the Continental EcoPlus HT3 tire by 29% when new and 49% when worn and the Goodyear Fuel Max® LHT® tire by 9% when new and 11% when worn. Actual on-road results may vary. (Note: Peak Mu is a measurement of maximum traction.)