LAS VEGAS (September 25, 2012) – Today at MINExpo in Las Vegas, Michelin introduced several updated features to the popular Michelin Earthmover Management System (MEMS). MEMS provides mining operators with data about tire usage conditions. Temperature and pressure are constantly monitored to optimize driving and safety conditions, as well as tire performance.
MEMS is the only tire management and maintenance system designed and deployed by the world leader in Earthmover tires and backed by the extensive expertise of the manufacturer, which, having designed and produced the tires, knows them better than anyone else.
Today, Michelin has introduced an upgrade to this technology. Called MEMS Evolution 2, it is a more high-performance, connected, efficient version of the original MEMS system
MEMS Evolution 2 uses a latest-generation TPMS sensor as well as new, improved system software.
The new version of MEMS provides the following benefits:
- Direct access to data regardless of where the vehicle is located in the mine.
- User-friendly interface for operators and data analysts.
- Greater flexibility for the operator’s information service.
- Wireless, more powerful software and communication system.
Here’s an example of how MEMS Evolution 2 works:
1. A temperature or pressure problem is detected in a dump truck tire.
2. MEMS prepares to send the signal to the team that manages the dump trucks.
3. The message is sent to the dump truck control center via the wireless communication system.
4. An alert signal appears on the monitor in the mine management center.
5. The driver is informed of the problem by his manager.
6. Depending on the nature of the problem, a decision is made either to stop the dump truck, change its speed or direct it to take another route to protect its tires.
7. When the problem has been resolved, all the signal lights return to green and the dump truck resumes its normal work cycle.
Among the newly added functionalities is a new interface that enables real-time tire monitoring for an entire vehicle fleet. MEMS Evolution 2 also records in real time all data from a single vehicle. It provides mine operators with standard or personalized tire fleet analyses. Lastly, MEMS Evolution 2 is in continuous contact with the stockroom to ensure optimized management of the operator's tires.
Combined with the performance of MICHELIN Earthmover tires, MEMS Evolution 2 is the ideal solution for maximizing mining equipment productivity.
About Michelin North America
Dedicated to the improvement of sustainable mobility, Michelin designs, manufactures and sells tires for every type of vehicle, including airplanes, automobiles, bicycles, earthmovers, farm equipment, heavy-duty trucks and motorcycles. The Company has earned a long-standing reputation for building innovative premium tires. In addition to tires, the Company also publishes travel guides, hotel and restaurant guides, maps and road atlases. Headquartered in Greenville, S.C., Michelin North America (www.michelinman.com) employs about 22,700 and operates 19 major manufacturing plants. Forbes magazine has ranked Michelin No. 1 on its annual survey of “Best Large Employers in America” for 2018. Learn more about purpose-driven careers with a purpose-driven company at jobs.michelinman.com.