Company to mark occasion with private event that will honor the Nation’s starred chefs and New York’s rich and diverse food scene—Sponsors Help Make it happen
NEW YORK, Nov. 17 2017 – The MICHELIN Guide New York 2017 edition will go on sale November 18, marking a dozen years for the famous restaurant guide in the Big Apple.
The MICHELIN Guide first came to the U.S. with the New York edition. In fact, it was the first city outside of Europe where Michelin published the famous red guide, whose origins can be traced to 1900 when the company’s founders, the brothers Andre and Edouard Michelin, created travel guides as a way to help early automobile owners motor about with more confidence by giving them information on road travel, including a list of hotels that offered a quality meal.
Today, Michelin publishes red guides worldwide in 28 countries and four continents. In the U.S., Michelin also publishes guides for Washington D.C., San Francisco and Chicago.
Edouard Michelin, the great grandson of a founding brother of the same name, said: “A New York guide is part of an old dream of mine. It goes back 20 years. At first there was France, then Europe, but now there's the world, and New York is the gateway. New York makes you discover other cuisines."
The 12th edition of the MICHELIN Guide New York, like all others before it, reviews by the “famously anonymous” food inspectors who dine at hundreds of the city’s eateries each year unannounced and undetected. They are treated like any other customer with the food on the plate wielding all the clout—which is the most important reason the MICHELIN Guide remains one of the most highly regarded authorities in the culinary world.
Recognizing this year’s red guide, Michelin is celebrating with a special “Star Celebration” on the eve of the guide’s market introduction. This private event, which invites Michelin-recognized chefs and restaurateurs, food press and other special guests, is being held with the help of several very exclusive and high-end sponsors that include the following:
- Mercedes - AMG will provide a fleet of its critically acclaimed AMG models to provide the ultimate in luxury VIP transportation to and from the event for MICHELIN Star chefs and other VIP guests. A Mercedes-AMG GT S will also be on display at the event.
- NESPRESSO – Coffee of Choice MICHELIN Guide US 2017
- EDRINGTON – Spirits of Choice MICHELIN Guide US 2017
- S.PELLEGRINO SPARKLING NATURAL MINERAL WATER – Waters of Choice MICHELIN Guide 2017 Launch Event
- RIEDEL – Glassware of Choice MICHELIN Guide US 2017
- BRUNELLO – Wine Partner MICHELIN Guide 2017 Launch Event
- FRANCIACORTA - Sparkling Wine of Choice MICHELIN Guide 2017 Launch Event
- NAPA VALLEY VINTNERS Wine Partner MICHELIN Guide 2017 Launch Event
- STURIA – Caviar Partner MICHELIN Guide 2017 Launch Event
- VALRHONA - Chocolate Partner MICHELIN Guide 2017 Launch Event
- D’ARTAGNAN – Fine Food Partner MICHELIN Guide 2017 Launch Event
- PRESIDENT – Cheese Partner MICHELIN Guide 2017 Launch Event
- CULINARY AGENTS – Hospitality Community Network
- GAGGENAU – Luxury Home Appliance Partner MICHELIN Guide 2017 Launch Event
About Michelin North America
Dedicated to the improvement of sustainable mobility, Michelin designs, manufactures and sells tires for every type of vehicle, including airplanes, automobiles, bicycles, earthmovers, farm equipment, heavy-duty trucks and motorcycles. The company has earned a long-standing reputation for building innovative premium tires. In addition to tires, the company also publishes travel guides, hotel and restaurant guides, maps and road atlases. Headquartered in Greenville, S.C., Michelin North America (www.michelinman.com) employs about 22,700 and operates 19 major manufacturing plants.